The Golden Rule: Helping to ‘End the Whole Nuclear Era’Published on April, 53 2017
Sailing in Bellingham, Washington Harbor, on The Golden Rule, August 20, 2016. Credit: Gerry Condon.
By Helen Jaccard, WILPF US at-large member, Veterans For Peace associate member, VFP Golden Rule project manager
WILPF will again play a big role in the voyage of the Golden Rule Anti-Nuclear Protest Boat as she sails to most California ports this summer, from Eureka to San Diego and up the Sacramento River.
She will stay in San Diego this winter in preparation for the tour of the rest of the US. The California branches of WILPF are excited about her visit and our anti-nuclear work, which provides an important educational element to the “End the Whole Nuclear Era” campaign.
Here’s the preliminary schedule for the 2017 voyage of the Golden Rule:
- Leave Eureka: Sat 6/10
- Noyo / Caspar /Fort Bragg: Sun 6/11 - Wed 6/14
- Bodega Bay: Thu 6/15 - Sun 6/18
San Francisco Bay and Sacramento River
- Peace Pirate Camp: Wed 6/21 - Wed /28
- Tiburon - Corinthian YC: Boat Show! on 6/26
- Sausalito: Thu 6/29 - Sat 7/01
- San Rafael: Sat 7/01 - Sun 7/02
- Vallejo: Sun 7/02 - Mon 7/03
- Antioch: Mon 7/03 - Wed 7/05
- Reunion! Phoenix of Hiroshima: Wed 7/05 - Thu 7/06
- Antioch: Thu 7/06 - Fri 7/07
- Walnut Grove: Fri 7/07 - Sat 7/08
- Sacramento: Sat 7/08 - Wed 7/12
- Walnut Grove: Wed 7/12 - Fri 7/14
- Antioch: Fri 7/14 - Sat 7/15
- Vallejo: Sat 7/15 - Mon 7/17
- San Rafael: Mon 7/17 - Wed 7/19
- Half Moon Bay: Wed 7/19 - Sat 7/22
- Santa Cruz: Sun 7/23 - Wed 7/26
- Monterey: Wed 7/26 - Sat 7/29
- Morro Bay: Sun 7/30 - Wed 8/02
- Santa Barbara, mini-Peace Pirate Camp: Thu 8/03 - Sun 8/06
- Ventura/Oxnard: Mon 8/07 - Thu 8/10
- Marina del Rey: Thu 8/10 - Sun 8/13
- Long Beach: Mon 8/14 - Thu 8/17
- Newport: Thu 8/17 - Sat 8/19
- Dana Point: Sat 8/19 - Mon 8/21
- San Diego: Tue 8/22
- Pirate Peace Camps: To be announced
Peace Pirate Camps
A new program, Peace Pirate Camps, provides an opportunity for veterans, youth, women, and others to join together to learn to sail, learn the principles of nonviolent direct action, participate in an action planned during the camp, and learn about nuclear issues today. It will be a lot of fun, and you might be chosen for future crew!
There will be one camp June 21–28 in San Francisco Bay, and two or three in San Diego. A two-day version is being planned in Santa Barbara, August 4-5. Contact Jim Summers, email@example.com, for more information, or fill out an application and return it by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Golden Rule to visit the Phoenix of Hiroshima!
This reunion will be the first we know of since 1958, when the Golden Rule crew handed the baton to the Phoenix crew in Honolulu to complete the historic attempt to stop atmospheric nuclear bomb testing.
The same year that the Golden Rule sank and was brought up from the bottom of Humboldt Bay, the Phoenix of Hiroshima sank only a short distance away! The Phoenix has been located and efforts to raise and restore her are underway. If the Phoenix is still in the area of the Sacramento River in early July, we will have a wonderful reunion celebration. If all goes well this spring, the Phoenix will be on the water instead of under it!
The Golden Rule only sails with help from our supporters and helpers!
We need funds and volunteers for repairs, maintenance and upgrades, including:
- Main sail rigging repairs
- New power charger/inverter
- Electrical and galley improvements
- Heating and ventilation
- Propeller shaft seal repair
Please call restoration coordinator Chuck DeWitt at 707-445-4790, or email him at email@example.com to help!
Event Volunteers Needed
The 2017 sailing season will be very exciting! We will sail from Humboldt Bay to San Diego. With many educational stops, we need a lot of help, all hands on deck, and there are many roles to play! Organizers, authors, public speakers, a web master, photographers, and videographers will all be needed and appreciated.
If you live on the coast of California, we also need help in organizing events and seed money for each stop. To volunteer, please contact Helen Jaccard at 206-992-6364, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or make a donation.
Crew and Captains Needed
Are you a sailor and interested in stopping nuclear weapons and promoting nuclear-free, carbon-free energy? Use our crew application form to apply. This year, a modest stipend will be available for licensed captains. For more information, call Helen Jaccard at 206-992-6364.
You can Help Keep the Golden Rule Afloat
The Veterans for Peace Golden Rule Project reaches thousands of people each year, and this year promises to be the best yet: we will not only make more stops, but each stop will involve a strong program to reach beyond the choir. By offering public speakers and education to churches, clubs, and many other different kinds of organizations, we are taking our message to where people meet, encouraging them to see this famous sailboat and to go for a ride.
We need your help to make this all happen! Please donate online, or send a generous check to:
VFP Golden Rule Project
PO Box 87
Samoa, CA 95564