Celebrating Activism ForumPublished on November, 58 2017
Photo Credit: Ruth van Veenendaal
By Stelle Sheller, WILPF Greater Philadelphia Branch
"Celebrating Activism Forum" at the Perelman Art Center in Philadelphia
The Greater Philadelphia Branch participated in the “Celebrating Activism Forum” organized by the Raging Grannies of Philadelphia, in conjunction with The Art Museum of Philadelphia's exhibit, “Philadelphia Assembled.”
The Moderator of the forum was Helen Gym, Philadelphia City Council Member at-Large. She is a great and exciting speaker who is working very hard to end widespread inequality and poverty in Philadelphia! She has many ideas of practical things she is working towards.
Members of the Forum included:
- Fran Fulton – from Adapt (activist arm of the Independent Living and Disabilities Rights movement)
- Joan Kosloff – from the Granny Peace Brigade, Philadelphia; she has been an activist for 60+ years
- Ismael Jimenez – active with several racial justice organizations and a teacher at Kensington Creative and Performing Arts
- Diana Vasquez – student at North East High School and active in Youth United for Change
- Reverend Gregory G. Holston – recognized community activist, pastor and executive director of POWER (Philadelphians Organized to Witness, Empower and Rebuild)
- and the wonderful Sonia Sanchez – poet, mother, professor, and National and International lector on Black Culture and Literature (and a Granny!!).
It was an exciting forum! The halls were filled with tables from many different activist organizations. Lots of wonderful people!!